Hearth is seeking artworks for a group exhibition titled Sentient Sun,
the exhibition will run from April 17th - May 16th, 2020.
The Sun is situated at the centre of our solar system, but despite its diameter being ~1.39 million kilometers, 109 times that of Earth, and 4.603 Billion years old, it remains an entity often overlooked, regarded as a backdrop in our lives. Hearth invites artists to propose artworks that access historic, scientific, phenomenal, mythological, and personal explorations of the Sun. Applicants are asked to think about questions like: how can we interpret or embrace the Sun as a living entity; one that has informed biological life for eons? How has the Sun been inextricably linked to mythology, storytelling and oral tradition? How may we explore the Sun as a witness to life itself?
DEADLINE: SATURDAY MARCH 14TH, 2020 at 11:59pm.
The following is a list of recommended documents to include:
1. 5 - 10 images and/or videos of previous and/or proposed work.
2. A proposal describing the work (min 150 words)
3. An artist statement describing your practice (min 50 words)
4. A C.V detailing your relevant experiences (optional)
As we acknowledge that proposal writing can be an inaccessible process, Hearth has no mandatory requirements for submissions, but please keep in mind that you’re introducing yourself and your project to an uninitiated audience!
- Please send submissions by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please compile documents into a single PDF or a .zip folder.
- Video can be sent separately using WeTransfer or Dropbox, or links to video material on sharing platforms (Vimeo, Youtube, etc.). Images can be included as an attachment to the email in .jpg format.
Works must be ready for exhibition by April 13th, 2020. All applicants will be notified by late March 2020.
Submissions of artworks in any and all mediums are welcomed and encouraged. This exhibition prioritizes artists that are Indigenous, Black, people of color, women, LGBTQ2+, people with disabilities, and other marginalized communities.
Selected participants will receive an honorarium, but as Hearth is an emerging non-for-profit, volunteer run initiative, we do not currently receive public or private funding, and cannot guarantee CARFAC artist fee minimums. We are readily available to assist artists in the sourcing of external project funding, and are open to other forms of skill-sharing and equitable exchanges with collaborators. We acknowledge the precarity of the artist run-model and the nature of artist opportunities in the city and commit to actively working towards sustainable compensation for collaborators in time.
See our Facebook Event for updates.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact email@example.com!